Thursday 3 January 2013

Experiment 1: Brioche

No picture taken.

Ingredients (Based on SD-2501 manual page 15):
  Yeast 1 1/4 tsp
  Strong White flour 400g
  Sugar 4tbsp
  Salt 1 tsp
  Butter 50g (Cut into 2 cm cubes and keep in fridge)
  Water 180ml
  Egg Medium 2 (beaten)
Adding for later:
  Butter for adding later 70g (Cut into 2 cm cubes and keep in fridge)

Recipe:
1. Cut the butter for adding later into 1-2 cm cubes and keep them in fridge (I did cut the butter for adding at beginning and later too.)
2. Put the Kneading blade in to the bread pan. (It has only one direction to slot in and not easy to lose)
3. Place the ingredients in the bread pan in the order listed in the recipe. (I followed this but then the dry yeast was under all other ingredients and not expose to any liquid... would it be any kneading at the beginning phase?)
4. Set the bread pan in to the machine, and plug the machine.
5. Select menu 11 ( ... I made mistake here, selected menu 23 looking at the menu page which is to make bread dough but not baking...)
6. Press Start pad to start the machine. (Start light came on, but no movement. Touched the body of machine but it was still cold. I was afraid to open the lid so kept staring at the timer panel then the indicated time start to drop down. Good it was working.)
7. Adding additional butter when the beep sounds, then press Start pad again. (Beep was kept repeating until I opened the lid. I opened the lid - the dough was already smooth and like a ball - added the butter 70g directly from fridge, closed the lid and pressed the Start button...again no reaction. The timer started moving down again so I left the machine on work.)
8. Press Stop pad and remove bread pan from the bread maker. (Indeed we should press stop button first. The machine let us know this timing by beep sounds but it keeps beeping until pressing the stop button regardless the lid is opened or taking the pan out from the machine. By the way I realise the lid has no locking system. It can open any time.)
9.  Remove the bread from the bread maker and place on a wire cooler. (You better have 2 mittens. Some blog pointed the bread is not easy to come out stacking to the bread kneading blade, that didn't happened to me. but the handle of the bread pan gets lose on the center of coming out way and upset me because the bread was hot and soft, I thought the handle will break the loaf in to 2 halves. The handle doesn’t stop at the side of bread pan and not simple to hold it in one way when the pan is hot and your are holding the pan in one hand and bread in another in a quick work. The bread had a visible small hole at the bottom of the loaf but the blade cut was almost invisible which was amazing. Of course I placed the hole at the bottom on the cooling wire.)


My note:
My blog date and time is not ordered in the correct real time line but this was the first baking using this shiny new machine.
I ordered a loaf pan with a lid to make square sandwich bread with the machine but it hasn't been delivered yet, which understandable considering the holiday season. So I'm not starting any real white bread baking yet.
The machine is very simple if you want to make bread from the menu selection listed in the manual came with the machine. The menu had few "not clear" points but somehow I could work out using a common sense. (but added few of them align with the original instruction within the brackets, it might help other new starters?)
Now, as I mentioned at the step 5, I miss selected the menu 23, so the machine stopped by 35 minutes after adding butter cubes. It wasn’t in my plan but I decided to shape them and bake them separately.
I put some strong flour on kitchen table and took out the dough. The dough was not puffy as usually our pizza dough become, but very lose. I wasn't sure if the dough had full rise phase by the menu so I decide to try 2 methods. Firstly I placed the whole dough on kitchen table, puffed out the air then put 1/3 of them aside, cut the other 2/3 of dough into 6 pieces. Loosely rolled up those dough balls then placed back to the bread pan in 2 lines (I saw this method in another web recipe somewhere). Then placed back the bread pan in the machine, started again the baking selecting the Menu 15, the baking only mode, set the time to 35 minutes (as the time indicated in the Brioche menu in Menu 11 in the manual).
Then I cut the remained 1/3 of dough into 2 equal balls of dough, then stretched then in about 30 cm length each.
Closed the starting and ending of those 2 lines of dough by fingers very well then twisted that few times.
I placed the dough in an oiled baking loaf tin, then brushed the top of dough with maple syrup and a egg yolk smoothing the surface of it. Placed the loaf tin in the oven and heated to lower than 50 degree (my oven doesn't have notch between off and 50 degree). After leaving the dough for another 30 minutes, turned the oven up to 180 degree, baked it for about 30 minutes.
So basically I tried 2 pieces of dough with and without the another rise time, to see if the dough mode included enough rise time.
The results were; the brioche from the oven was very nice texture, added maple syrup was definitely a good idea. The brioche from the BM became much dense and less sweet.
I'm sure the dough mode does not include a length of rise time required for this dough before start baking it; which may be by design as the dough mode is for the baker to knead and form them in shape, usually requires the 2nd rise period before bake.
I'm not sure the rise was connecting to the final difference of the sweetness of the brioche taste, I need more experiments.  I also don’t know if I wanted to just put it back to BM to finish the job then how I could rise the dough without BM menu (SD-2501 does not have any rise only menu according to the manual).
Need more experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment