Sunday 20 July 2014

Home prepared herbal olive oil


There are few condiments and sauces that I cannot ever allow to run out at my home.
Asian line-ups are as you can imagine, but not limited to.
This is what I have to have all year around, one thing that I can't allow to run out.
A lot of shops sale herbal olive oil with the different spiced version, but in my opinion, homemade one is the best. You know what's in it, which kind of olive oil is in, and you can keep making it.
And the biggest difference, it is as fresh as you make!
I use the rosemary from my garden in summer, the taste of pleasure from my own home.

I lined up the ingredients in my favourite balance, but it's totally up to you what to include and how much in the bottle. Try to choose "hard" things (e.g. dried chili, condiments, nuts etc.) and better to avoid the ingredients easy to spoil (e.g. meat, fish, leaf salad etc) unless you meant to use up in once.

Ingredients:
1 stem rosemary
2 small bay leaves
1 small garlic clove
4-5 black pepper corn
1 garlic - pealed
about 10 fennel seeds

Method:
Just bottle it. You can feel the herbal flavour from the right next day.
Basically you don't need to replace the all things in the bottle every time, because the olive oil preserves the ingredients in the bottle quite well.
Point is, keep adding more oil to the bottle whenever you use more than the line of ingredients in the bottle and keep all things under the oil.
Rosemary leaves will come off from the stem but it will not going to get spoiled.
Yet, I do change them about once per about 5 times full refill usage.

This is just when I bottled it. Both the rosemary and olive oil are shinny green.


Then this is the next day, you can see that the rosemary green already started to melt into the olive oil and the oil has fresh rosemary aroma.

By the time, the taste will change to more mature and stronger flavour, and that's the another fun.
I use them for pizza dough, salad dressings, meat-sauces, pastas and more.
My latest best favourite way is, dipping a piece of freshly baked foccacio or crunchy baguette in the dish of this oil from the first 2-3 days with freshly clacked black pepper, sea salt and grated parmigiano cheese. This cannot be starter, because you can't stop eating it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment