Saturday 19 July 2014

Tzatziki - Greek cucumber & yogurt cream


Tzatziki is the one thing I learnt before knowing the name of the dish.
There were excellent Greek restaurant in Pasadena LA, it was near to our home and we went there for all good occasions. So much great memories at the restaurant and it was with completely new type of taste for me at that time. I even never had an idea of using yogurt for cooking so at the beginning, I couldn't tell what even was the base of cream.
Once I moved UK, I realise that Greek food is not cheap here (or any eating out is not cheap compare to US), so my stomach forced me to learn all good taste I could recall.
So the recipe was from several books and people, but the taste adjusted to what I liked.
Nice to serve with all other great Greek foods especially with the oven grilled lamb meatballs in a pita bread.

Ingredients:
1 cucumber - skinned and grated
300g yogurt
1 garlic - crushed and chopped
about 5-7 leafs of mint - sliced and chopped
1/4 tsp salt
some black pepper as you like

Method:
1. Prepare the vegetables: cut in half and skin the cucumber until near the end (leaving a bit at the end allows you to hold the cucumber easier) then grate it with a grater (I use the one for grating the parmigiana cheese). Put it out on a strainer, squeeze them as much as you can to drain out all liquid.
2. Crush the garlic by a side of your knife, then chop it to very fine mince.
3. If you’ve got a bunch of mint, take only the soft leaves, wash it under water then drain the water out. I like the mint short thin strings in this cream, so once slice them all finely then turn it and chop them roughly.
4. Combine all in a bowl then keep it in the refrigerator for few hours.

5. Serve them with some grilled meat or fish; our favourite is to have some with the oven grilled lamb meatballs in a pita bread.

like this :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment