Sunday 9 February 2014

Fiery Harissa at Home form +Michael F.

I've tried already 3 years growing home chilies and thanks to the good hot summer last year, finally it paid me off with full of small nice red chilies on the tree.
Then, I didn't know what to do. Since I've never used so many chilies in my life.
I had some ideas, I wanted to spend them all in once, for sauce, sure, but How?
Then comes the Michael F's  Fiery Harissa at Home on foodies+. The only problem was looking too spicy and didn't know where to use. Then he kindly posted this Chicken Tajine w/ Harissa, Apricots, and Walnuts just after that.
Now with some more advice from him, I made my first Harissa today.
I just had to take the pictures of my sweet and precious chilies' transformation.
Just picked from the tree:
 Then trimmed the head and all seeds out.
Rehydrated as Michael kindly gave me the advice - then amazing! The dried chilly came back fresh! well,,, not as really fresh as when it was used to be, but much more than I expected.
Since my chilies are once dried out, I had to guess how much weight it could have been. I looked at the regular pack of chilies from supermarket and roughly calculated it as about 100g.
I don't know about chilies much but I know Habanero is one of the top heat.
I'm real novice here, so "No" Habanero in my sauce.
And VoilĂ ! this is mine. My very first chili sauce, Harissa here.
It's a bit rougher than his picture, 'cause it was too less quantity for processing till smoother state.
Now he commented I should try - no I can't. Looking too scary.
I dipped a bit of bread (mostly to olive oil) and then, it's sooo tasty! but soooo hot!
On its own is too hot for me to try, now I really need something to eat with.
So I decide to cook something simple to spread the taste - but not to kill the spice.
And made this.
Too easy to become a proper recipe.... very simple.

<Ingredients>
3 baby onions chopped.
a bag of Tenderstem Broccoli Spears (the bag says 220g) washed and chopped in half.
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp Harissa

<Method>
With a Tbsp olive oil on frying pan, stir-fry the stem and chopped baby onions over high heat for few minutes.
Add the white wine and 1/2 cup of water, cap the pan and steam them for another few minutes.
Open the cap, try and check the thick stems are cooked, then add about 1 tsp soy sauce and finally about 1/2 tsp precious *Harissa*.
Just stir-fry and tossing them on the pan for few times and done.

When it's cooked with food, chili became not too spicy but the condiments aroma spread through the veges and done a very good job. Wonderful sauce, I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment