Tuesday 18 February 2014

Home made Queso Blanco & Corn Cake


Well, this started by my husband was aside me when I was browsing the foodies+.
He saw the Brazilian Chef's corn cake post, since that moment, he kept nagged me to make that cake.
I knew I had all ingredients at home so as I promised with him, I made it on weekend.
The recipe was deadly simple and fun. Just keep adding the ingredients using the same corn tin. Detail recipe is here: https://plus.google.com/116979010991000249483/posts/FZ4uCKBzPDk



Then, when the cake was ready, he started again. This must be with Queso Blanco, the South American style white cheese.
I somehow knew that he is going to say that. In Venezuela, I also tried the typical corn cake call Cachapa and it was usually served with butter and cheese. but we both knew that the cheese is not common in UK.

I was just trying to see if in any chance I can find a store selling the cheese, then.
There were few recipes instead. All existing links described the very simple recipe, I needed was just a bit of courage because the amount of milk I will use (and could be wasted).

My ingredients here:
1 pint whole milk
2 lime juice
salt

That's all.

Method:
Boil the milk slowly up to 85 degree in a large pot, then take the pot out from heat and add the lime juice.
*The salt should be added just after lime juice I believe. From today's experience, this should require about 1 Tbsp.
Drain the mixture on a cheese cloth over strainer.
*another mistake I made, in Venezuelan style, the mixture is to be just drained naturally rather than pressed.

Then Done! That 2 pint of milk could make about 200g Philadelphia cream cheese pack size.


According to my husband's opinion, apparently I draining the liquid too much for his like it, the cheese became much like ricotta cheese. But anyway this was my first home made cheese.


Update: My current best balance/method is in below. Once I totally satisfy, then I'll replace this post.

Ingredients:
1 pint whole milk
2 lime juice
1 Tbsp salt

Method:
1. Boil the milk slowly up to 85 degree in a large pot, then take the pot out from heat and add the lime juice and salt.
2. Immediately you will see the liquid and cheese bits get separated. Leave it for few minutes.
3. Drain the mixture on a cheese cloth over a strainer.
4. In Venezuelan style, the mixture need to be left on a strainer without press, so the liquid to be drained naturally; it is nicer to drain on anything that can drain and in the shape you like to make.
5. I used a Philadelphia cream cheese cup, I made several holes at the bottom by a knife. If you like to make it harder (and quicker), you can just press the mixture between 2 containers like I did.
6. Wait until the cheese gets cool down.




No comments:

Post a Comment